21.11.10

France again and Harry Potter

So last Friday Dan and Brian and I were going to go to France, but Dan got sick on Thursday night, so Brian and I went alone. It's free for us through our semester pass which lets us use public transportation for free within a certain area, so it became a premiere destination :) It's about two hours by train, and I created a handy-dandy googlemaps image to show you how you'd get there if you drove.

It was a ton of fun! Wissembourg is a pretty little town, but we knew nothing about it, so we spent a few hours walking around. I guess you could say we got lost, but because we had no idea where we were going, we didn't count it.
Brian had been craving a Big Mac, so we looked for the McDonald's that we saw as we were pulling into Wissembourg from the train. It became a game of "Find that McDonald's!" We found it, so yes, I ate McDonald's in France. It's not my proudest moment, but Brian enjoyed it so
much that I don't regret it!

We kept walking around after McDonald's, trying to find the Old City. Thankfully, Wissembourg has a bunch of handy maps of the city all over the place, so we were able to check our progress often enough that we eventually found it, and it was very cute!

Funny thing about us wandering around...we eventually wandered into Germany. No joke. It was awesome! We hopped the border a few times for pictures, and to be able to say we walked to Germany from France and back. It wasn't a particularly warm or good day for tourism, but it's cute and free, and I'd go again!
On Wednesday, Harry Potter 7 opened in Germany, and you can bet (especially because I'm telling you) that I was there! A group of us went to Mannheim to see it, and it was totally worth it. Not only because it was fun to be out with friends, but also because we got the bragging rights of seeing it two days earlier than those plebeians in the US!
Overall, it was a good week, even though yesterday I had to spend 6 hours at a choir practice for our show next week. The choir that
no one wants to be in anymore...but hey- joy, right?

4 comments:

  1. Le Big Macs! or are you to young for that reference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I googled it and you're referencing Pulp Fiction apparently? I've never seen that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, since I am of the younger, cooler, hipper generation, I can tell you that the cheeseburger reference in Pulp Fiction was "Royal with Cheese".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, they talk about both types of burgers in the scene.

    ReplyDelete