17.6.11

Life in pictures and words (more traveling)


Hello Everyone!

It's been awhile, and for that I apologize- I've been pretty busy lately. I've been working on writing my final papers, traveling, and embracing opportunities that come to me. Some of those things are more fun than others (one of these things is not like the other...). May and June are Feiertag-central, we're always having days off for some holiday or another, which is fantastic! On Monday, since it was a holiday (Pfingstmontag or Whit Monday), and we still have our German Rail Passes which allow us free travel on the Deutsche Bahn, a few friends and I decided to go to Trier, the oldest city in Germany.

Trier was really pretty- the day was less than ideal, as it swung erratically from near-raining to the sunshiniest day, meaning we were always hot from putting our jackets on when it became suddenly sunny or freezing when the arctic winds blew- but Trier was pretty. The first thing we saw was the Porta Nigra, a Roman gate dating back to 186-200 A.D., when it was built. It's the largest Roman gate north of the Alps and it is gorgeous, in my opinion:

We also saw some ruins of Roman baths which were pretty neat as well; they're also the largest Roman baths ruins north of the Alps. The whole time I was in Trier, I just kept thinking how much my dad would love all the Roman history. We didn't actually go in, because you could see pretty well from outside what was inside, but I'm sure there was more history to be learned, had we paid an entrance fee.

The oldest church, built by Constantine, in Germany is also in Trier, and of course we visited it. Herr Dörr taught us well-we always visit the church! It was, I think, the most unique church I've been to so far in Europe. I think it's the most unique because although it's pretty standard in respect to the architecture and the details inside,usually the two styles we
saw of the simple sturdy stone building and the gilded, over-the-top intricate styles of the organ and pulpit aren't something I usually see together in the same building. I'm not an art history major or anything, so maybe this is really normal, but it didn't seem to go together to me. It was still pretty, though.

Unfortunately, since we went to Trier without a clear idea of what we were going to do there, we just visited things we saw signs for and walked to. We followed these signs to a Roman bridge for such a long time until eventually there were no more signs but there was also no bridge in sight. I found out later that it's the oldest bridge over which cars are allowed to drive. Also I think it's the biggest/oldest Roman bridge north of the Alps (that's a common theme for things in Trier).

Trier was a success, but it definitely deserves some planning, just in case you're ever thinking of visiting it.

1 comment:

  1. I've been to Trier. Very cool, pretty, and historic. Hope you are doing great Sarah.

    ReplyDelete