21.9.10

A note on culture shock

I know I just posted something yesterday, but my day today required a new post.

I got a notification in my mailbox at the center on Friday letting me know I had gotten a package, but that due to regulations, it couldn't be delivered, and I would need to pick it up myself. The assistant director of our program, Frau Schoeberl, printed out a googlemaps map of it and wrote down which train/bus I could take and where the place was, but of course due to the hours on Friday there was only a half hour window where I would be able to go. No big deal, I thought, I'll get it on Monday. I was so busy yesterday that I forgot about getting it, and decided I would make it happen today, so after lunch I headed to Bismarkplatz to catch a train or bus to one of the stations nearest the office.

The bus was fine, I got on the right one (shockingly), got to where I needed to be, knew where I was, saw where I needed to go on the map, and started walking. As I walked, I looked around, expecting it to be fairly obvious where I needed to go, but that was an unfounded expectation, as it turned out. After wandering up and down the street for a while, I came to the conclusion that I must be confused, or reading the map wrong, or overlooking something, so I decided to call someone nearby and ask if I could come over and borrow their computer to double check. Luckily, I know three people who live in a building in the area, so I called Annika. Of course, she said, come on over.

So I walked back, all the way back past where my bus had dropped me off, to her building. I told her what I had done, and how I couldn't find anything, and we double checked the instructions I had been sent by the post office and saw there was another address on the paper, plugged that into googlemaps, and saw I had been near it while wandering around.

I left her, went back to where I had been, and eventually saw the bright golden yellow of the Deutsche Post. Thank goodness, I thought, I've made it. I walked in, gathered my copy of the customs paper, my passport and wallet, and stood in line...only to be told by a man, in German, that "green paper collections are across the street" where? I asked "across the street." No way. I thought. I thanked him, sighing as I put my papers back in my bag, and started back up the hill to get across the street, and that's where it hit me.

All of a sudden my frustration and confusion and tiredness got to me and then I was crying on the side of the road that people use to get to this out-of-the-way post office, gasping and sobbing, hoping no one would come by as I let it out. A couple times I thought I had it together, and would get ready to keep moving, but each time another wave would come over me and I would find myself crying again, wishing I could just do something right for once, like something as simple as picking up a package from the post office. I hate you, Germany, I thought bitterly.

Eventually I did get it together enough to cross the street, and look around a little more for the other post office, but decided that I was being culture shocked, and that getting my package could wait. I walked back to the station, caught a bus back to Bismarkplatz, and walked home.

Now, 4 hours past this event, I have calmed down, and looked at googlemaps again, this time just looking for the street I need to be on. I have found that it was a mere block past the street I was originally on. I have time, I could go back, but I'm tired, mentally and physically. I have homework to do, dinner to eat, choir practice to attend, and a volunteering to learn about. I'll deal with this tomorrow.

We're good, Germany. No worries.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man can I relate. As much as that sooooooo sucks it's all part of the experience. If it was easy, it would be fun. It just takes some retrospection to figure that out :-) Hang in there Sarah, overall, sounds like you are having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You handled that perfectly. First and foremost, kindness to yourself. And kindness walks best when hand in hand with his best friend patience.

    You are, after all, learning to walk again. :)

    Continue to explore! - Frau

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Uncle Chris- I'm doing a lot better now :)

    And Frau, thank you too. I'm exploring every day I feel like!

    ReplyDelete